Sandal season or not, toenail fungus is easy to catch and very difficult to eliminate. Toenails that are infected can not only be extremely painful, but they are unsightly, causing those who have them to constantly worry about hiding their feet in public from embarrassment. This is certainly no way to live, and we are here to help you prevent & manage toenail fungus.
Where Can You Catch Toenail Fungus?
Fungus loves and lives in warm, moist, dark places. Here are 5 of the most common places to catch it:
- Your own shoes: if you sweat a lot and don’t rotate shoes often, there is a greater chance that you can develop a fungal infection right from underneath you.
- Gym Locker Rooms/Common Areas: this is one of the most common places to catch a fungal infection. Walking barefoot in a communal area such as a gym locker room or dorm shower should always be avoided.
- Sharing Items: never share towels, toenail clippers, shoes, or socks with others. Even when trying on shoes at the store, it’s important you protect your feet by wearing your own socks or the stocking socks they supply.
- Nail Salons: Many salons do not sanitize their equipment properly between clients. Additionally, when pedicurists cut your cuticles, they leave your skin open to infection.
- Friend or Family Member: of course the easiest way to catch a fungus is by direct contact with another person who has it. Fungus is contagious and can be contracted by simple contact.
Visible Signs You Have a Fungal Infection
- scaling or flakiness under the nail
- white or yellow streaks on the nail
- a crumbling corner or tip of the nail
- the appearance of yellow spots at the bottom of the nail
- a distorted nail that may lift off from the nail bed
- an odor coming from the infected nail
- a brittle or thickened nail
- loss of the entire nail
How to Prevent Fungal Nail Infections
- use anti-fungal sprays or powders regularly
- wash your hands after touching infected nails
- dry your feet well after showering, especially between your toes
- bring your own tool kit when getting a pedicure (preferably doing your own nails)
- wear moisture wicking socks
- avoid being barefoot in public places or common areas
Eliminate Toenail Fungus
Genesis Plus Laser Treatment
Laser Treatment For Nail Fungus (success rate of about 88%) is the preferable treatment option to eradicate toenail fungus. Standard treatment options like nail trimming, topical ointments, oral medicine, or total nail removal have their individual, unique drawbacks. Some don’t actually treat the fungus, just attempt to remove the side effects. Genesis Plus Laser Treatment For Nail Fungus is a quick, comfortable, and simple procedure that treats the fungus immediately. The GenesisPlus Laser passes minuscule, brief pulses of light through the problem toenail allowing us to treat the fungus underneath, without an invasive procedure. The fungus is irradicated, and the surrounding nail and skin are left undamaged.
The entire laser procedure will take between 15-30 minutes and most patients experience a gentle warming during the procedure. Patients find treatment quite tolerable and after treatment, you will be able to resume normal activities at once. We will provide you with prevention guidelines to follow for ideal results and by adhering to our tips, you’ll see your fungus clearing as quickly and thoroughly as possible.
If you have any questions about laser treatment of nail fungus, or how you might pay for the procedure, simply contact us. Call us at 706.999.9994 or request a consultation online. Let’s get your nails clear and beautiful for the lake again!
To set your next appointment with us click below:
February Promotion $50 Coupon: