Tailor’s Bunion, also called a bunionette, is an enlargement of the fifth metatarsal bone at the base of the little toe. Why is it called a tailor’s bunion? Centuries ago, tailors sat cross-legged all day with the outside edge of their feet rubbing on the ground which caused a painful bump to form at the base of the little toe. Hence the name “tailor’s” bunion.
The symptoms of tailor’s bunions include redness, swelling, and pain at the site of the enlargement. These symptoms occur when wearing shoes that rub against the enlargement, irritating the soft tissues underneath the skin and producing inflammation.
Causes of a Tailor’s Bunion
Often a tailor’s bunion is caused by an inherited faulty mechanical structure of the foot, however; anyone is prone to developing one because these bunions are usually aggravated by wearing shoes that are too narrow in the toe, producing constant rubbing and pressure. In fact, wearing shoes with a tight toe box can make the deformity get progressively worse.
Treatment for a tailor’s bunion typically begins with nonsurgical therapies. At Da Vinci Foot and Ankle it is always our Doctors priority to get you fully healed and recovered. Non-surgical options are always our first line of defense when suitable.
- Shoe Recommendations – we offer a wide variety of podiatrist approved shoes that can help to alleviate symptoms of a tailor’s bunion and prevent another from forming. Check out our Vionic and Brooks line for styles and more information.
- MLS Laser Therapy – we offer the latest in laser technology to help reduce inflammation and treat the entire area surrounding the bunion.
- Padding – our bunionette pads placed over the area may help reduce pain.
- Oral Medications – nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may be prescribed to reduce inflammation.
- Injection Therapy – such as cortisone shots to treat the tissues around the joint
- Orthotic Devices – such as our OTC Redi-thotics or our custom orthotics.
As this is a structural deformity, surgery maybe the only option to alleviate the pain and inflammation permanently. This would include either shaving down the prominent bone (“Cinderella Procedure”) or making a bone cut in the metatarsal.
Consult with one of our surgeons to discuss what options are best for you at 706.999.9994 or request an appointment online!
You don’t have to live with pain. Da Vinci Foot and Ankle can help!