It’s been a long a eventful year for many of us. While the change in date (Dec. 31st to Jan. 1st) doesn’t actually make anything new, our mindset and planning for the future DOES. The New Year is the perfect little push that we need to start 2019 off on the right foot! Here are 4 ways to plan a healthy and happy 2019 for your ankles and feet!
4 Ways to Enter 2019 on the Right Foot
- Out with the OLD and In with the NEW – The New Year is the perfect time to do a closet clean-out. Take a look at every single pair of shoes you own (including slippers) and part ways with the ones that have a worn heel/sole, holes on either the inside or outside OR any ones that you have not worn all year. This will eliminate clutter AND help to prevent issues due to ill-fitting shoes in 2019 such as bunions, calluses and heel spurs.
- Establish a Morning Routine JUST for Your Ankles and Feet – and STICK TO IT ALL YEAR! One of the easiest things you can do to help keep your joints mobile is to move them around and keep them hydrated. Sticking to a quick morning routine that includes movement, stretching and drinking a glass of water that you can place near your bedside can be the easiest yet most effective thing you do for your body this year.
- Invest in Preventative Foot Care Products- One of the greatest things you can do aside from treating issues is to prevent them. Start the year off with products that will help you keep your toenails, feet and ankles in good condition before a problem ever begins. To keep your toenails clear and beautiful we recommend KeryFlex. Another product we love is Dr. Blaines Revitaderm 40 Keratolytic Emollient for calluses. Lastly, keep your feet aligned with our OTC or Custom Fitted Orthotics. We offer a wide variety of helpful products at each of our offices.
- Get Re-Fitted for Shoes – You may be in your 20’s or well into your 60’s, the truth is our feet morph each year. It is important to have a Podiatrist measure your feet at the beginning of each year and suggest the best shoes for your foot type. Stop by any of our locations for a FREE fitting with one of our professionals.
Other foot tips for keeping your feet Happy and Healthy for 2019 are:
- Inspect your feet daily for cracks, ingrown toenails, rashes, blisters or sores. If you see any infection or cause of concern, call your Podiatrist immediately, dont wait!
- Wash your feet daily and make sure you dry between the toes thoroughly. Your feet are the last body parts to be dried and can be easily overlooked. This would also be a good time to use a pumice like stone to smooth any callus’ that you feel. Never use any type of sharp object on your feet (don’t be a bathroom surgeon).
- Trim your toenails straight across, never in the corners, as this may cause ingrown toenails.
- Moisturize your feet daily, preferably with a cream. Never moisturize between the toes…this can cause a fungus and/or bacterial infection.
Finally, be aware of foot deformities that you were not paying attention to during the hustle and bustle of Holiday shopping. Like bunions, hammertoes, heel pain and non-healing sores.
Make 2019 the year you take care of your feet. And ask your Grandkids and children how their feet are doing!
You don’t have to live with pain. Da Vinci Foot and Ankle can help!CLICK HERE to book your next appointment at Da Vinci Foot and Ankle.
Lake Oconee, GA 706-999-9994
West Augusta, GA 706-597-0102