With COVID-19 evolving into a pandemic, we thought it would be good to share some guidelines to abide by and even some extra fun ways to stay physically and mentally healthy during this time.
Guidelines From The CDC
- Wash your hands thoroughly and use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you’re sick and encourage family to do the same.
- Practice Social Distancing
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, throw the tissue in the trash and immediately wash your hands. No tissue? Cough or sneeze into your elbow, not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Skip The Gym During This Time
For those of you who have gym memberships, we would encourage you to skip the gym during this time and try these 4 really fun ways to work out (without even realizing it).
1. Living Room Dance – Set your timer for 15 minutes and pick your 4 favorite songs of all time. Blast them from your cellphone or computer and dance in your living room. Believe it or not, dancing for just 4 songs will meet your activity threshold for the day.
2. Phone Call Walking – Look through your contacts and pick a person (friend, family member, acquaintance) that you haven’t spoken to in a while. Call them and begin a 15 minute power walk around your neighborhood. 15 minutes will go by in no time as you were distracted by the talk!
3. Speed Chores – Of course we all have house chores, but have you ever intentionally chosen 2-3 heart pumping chores to do in a speedy manner, with a timer in hand? For example, set a timer for 15 minutes and choose to accomplish, mopping the floor, vacuuming the carpets and sweeping the outdoor balcony and sidewalks of leaves. You’d be amazed at how much you can accomplish in 15 minutes all while “exercising”.
4. Play – Now for those of you who don’t have little children to take, this may feel uncomfortable, but we can assure you playgrounds are for everyone to enjoy! Find a local (public) playground, bring some headphones and be a kid again! Go on the swings, go down the slides and try to accomplish doing the monkey bars if you can. 15 minutes at a playground will probably kick your butt more than you realize, but it’s a great way to get the heart pumping without even realizing it. BRING HAND SANITIZER and make sure to sanitize when you are finished.
We want to encourage you all to stay as calm as you can during this time. We know that there is an added level of stress that is coming along with this pandemic due to stores being wiped out and the uncertainty of the unknown when you walk outside. We want you to know we are here for all of you and are aware that processing such a pandemic looks different for everyone. Please call us with any of your concerns at this time. Have a wonderful St. Patricks Day.