You’ve just been given the news that you need surgery and while on the one hand you’ve been given hope that your ailment has a solution, on the other hand preparing for surgery and recovery can be quite stressful. We’ve compiled a list of our top 5 things to remember to do while planning for your surgery that will make life much easier after surgery.
5 Tips on How to Prepare for Surgery
1. Go grocery shopping before your surgery and stock up on food. Depending on the type of surgery you need, you may not be able to stand for long periods of time. Meal prep as many freezer meals as you can or you can even ask your family members and friends to sign up for a meal train where each person brings you a hot meal on their designated day of the week.
2. If your bedroom is not on the same floor as your kitchen or your bathroom, prepare a comfortable space for yourself on the couch or somewhere close (before your surgery) so that you can avoid traveling up and down the stairs for a while.
- 3. Notify your employer (if applicable), of the time you will be gone from work because of your surgery. Complete any applications for short-term disability benefits that you qualify for as well.
4. Put the things you regularly use within easy reach. Stock up on books, movies, games, and anything else to keep yourself busy as you recover. This would be a great time to utilize free trials of platforms like Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime if you don’t already have them.
5. Arrange for family, friends, or neighbors to help with childcare, yardwork, pet care, trash pickup, and anything else you will be unable to do during recovery. It is important that you think of these things ahead of time as you won’t want to take the risk of re-injuring yourself after surgery.
Recovering from a surgery takes time and patience. It can definitely be stressful, but following these 5 tips will help to alleviate a lot of unnecessary burden for you. If you have any questions about your upcoming surgery please contact your office below!
Don’t forget to enter our Brooks Running Shoes GIVEAWAY ON FACEBOOK!
CLICK HERE to book your next appointment at Da Vinci Foot and Ankle.
Lake Oconee, GA 706-999-9994
West Augusta, GA 706-597-0102
Madison, GA 706-999-9994