Ankle sprains can be extremely painful and usually happen totally unexpectedly. It could be as simple as missing a step or tripping over a curb while staring at your phone.
A sprained ankle is an injury that occurs when you roll, twist or turn your ankle in a way that causes the ligaments around it to stretch, tear or strain. The ankle ligaments help stabilize your joints and when your ankle is sprained, the ligaments are forced beyond this stable range of motion.
Signs and symptoms of a sprained ankle can vary. Sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish if you have an ankle sprain or an ankle fracture. If you have more than one of the symptoms below you most likely have a sprained ankle.
- Pain when you bear weight on the sprained foot
- Tenderness when you touch the ankle
- Restricted range of motion
- Instability in the ankle
- Popping sensation at the time of injury
Of course, our immediate recommendation for an ankle injury of any degree would be to make an appointment with one of our Doctors at Da Vinci Foot and Ankle. Book Appointment Here.
3 Quick Relief Treatments
1) The RICE Method – Rest, Icing, Compression, and Elevation—If you have suffered an ankle sprain rest is your first line of defense. Taking the weight off of your foot as soon as you can, wrap a compression bandage around your ankle and ice it in an elevated position every couple of hours.
2) Immobilization — While your ankle is healing you may be required to immobilize the joint by using crutches or a medical boot. Our Doctors can also provide custom made orthotics that will help maintain your foot and ankle integrity. It is important to not further aggravate your injury so keeping it as protected and still as possible will help with a quick recovery.
3) Physical Therapy— While immobilization is very important during the initial healing, it is also very important to slowly re-strengthen and improve the joints mobility again over time. A sprain that heals without any flexing is due to fail again. We recommend gentle flexing and ankle rotation exercises gradually aid in your healing process. An easy way to do this is to simply draw the alphabet with your foot in the air in the morning, afternoon and at night. If your pain feels more like a trauma it is important that you not take further action and make an appointment.
WHEN TO SEE A DOCTOR
If you are experiencing pain and swelling in your ankle and you suspect a sprain, call Da Vinci Foot and Ankle and make an appointment at one of our locations below. Being treated by one of our professionals will ensure proper care and rehabilitation.
You don’t have to live with pain. Da Vinci Foot and Ankle can help!
CLICK HERE to book your next appointment at Da Vinci Foot and Ankle.
Lake Oconee, GA 706-999-9994
West Augusta, GA 706-597-0102