Thick toenails are a common problem, particularly in the elderly population. While they develop slowly over time, it may be tempting to ignore them, however; addressing them as soon as possible is important. Thickening toenails are usually an indication of a more serious underlying cause.
The most common causes of thickened toenails are fungal infections and traumatic injury. They can also be caused by aging, diabetes and yellow toenail syndrome to name a few. Regardless of how they began, our Doctors at Da Vinci Foot and Ankle are able to treat your thickened toenails after analysis and proper diagnosis. Today we’d like to discuss thickened toenails due to fungal infection and how we can eradicate them for you!
Toenail Fungus – Where You Can Catch It
Fungus loves and lives in warm, moist, dark places. Here are 5 of the most common places to catch it:
- Your shoes: There are approximately 250,000 sweat glands in a pair of feet. If you don’t rotate shoes often, sweat will build up in your shoes and give you a greater chance of developing a fungal infection right from underneath you.
- Gym Locker Rooms: this is one of the most common places to catch a fungal infection. Walking barefoot in a communal area such as a locker room or dorm shower should always be avoided (wear flip-flops in these areas).
- Sharing Items: never share towels, toenail clippers, shoes, or socks with others. Even when trying on shoes at the store, it’s important you protect your feet by wearing your own socks or the stocking socks they supply.
- Nail Salons: Many salons do not sanitize their equipment properly between clients. Additionally, when pedicurists cut your cuticles, they leave your skin open to infection.
- Friend or Family Member: of course the easiest way to catch a fungus is by direct contact with another person who has it. Fungus is highly contagious.
Visible Signs You Have a Fungal Infection
- scaling or flakiness under the nail
- white or yellow streaks on the nail
- a crumbling corner or tip of the nail
- the appearance of yellow spots at the bottom of the nail
- a distorted nail that may lift off from the nail bed
- an odor coming from the infected nail
- a brittle or thickened nail
- loss of the entire nail
How to Prevent Fungal Nail Infections
- use anti-fungal sprays or powders regularly
- wash your hands after touching infected nails
- dry your feet well after showering, especially between your toes
- bring your own tool kit when getting a pedicure (preferably doing your own nails)
- wear moisture wicking socks
- avoid being barefoot in public places or common areas
Click Here to learn about some of our favorite products.
ELIMINATE TOENAIL FUNGUS
At Da Vinci Foot and Ankle, we take pride in offering the latest in laser technology and product care. Our solution to eradicate toenail fungus is multi-stepped and includes a range of preventive care products and laser treatment.
Genesis Plus Laser Treatment
Laser Treatment For Nail Fungus (success rate of about 88%) is our preferable treatment option to eradicate toenail fungus. Standard treatment options like nail trimming and oral medicine may work temporarily but they are typically just removing the side effects and not eliminating the fungus for good.
Genesis Plus Laser Treatment for nail fungus is a quick, comfortable, and simple procedure that treats the fungus immediately. The Genesis Plus Laser passes minuscule, brief pulses of light through the problem toenail allowing us to treat the fungus underneath, without an invasive procedure. The fungus is eradicated, and the surrounding nail and skin are left undamaged.
The entire laser procedure will take between 15-30 minutes and most patients experience a gentle warming during the procedure. Patients find treatment quite tolerable and after treatment, you will be able to resume normal activities at once. We will provide you with prevention guidelines to follow for ideal results and by adhering to our tips, you’ll see your fungus clearing as quickly and thoroughly as possible.
If you have any questions about laser treatment of nail fungus, or how you might pay for the procedure, simply contact us at a location nearest you below. Let’s get your nails clear and beautiful once again!
To set your next appointment with us click below:
Lake Oconee, GA 706-999-9994
West Augusta, GA 706-597-0102
Madison, GA 706-257-0257